Observation and Assessment
Article 5 of the pre-school regulation 2006 sets a duty on child care providers to promote the health, welfare and development of the child through the provision of appropriate opportunities, experiences, activities, interaction, material and equipment and having regard for the age and stage of development of a child and the child’s cultural context.
At Frenchpark & Districts Childcare Ltd we devise and implement policies to plan, develop and document our ongoing curriculum and observation on the development of the children in our care.
This helps us to do the following:
- Meet individual needs
- Provide appropriate challenge and progression
- Provide a broad and balanced program and curriculum
- We keep Daily Routine Records for each child, which is verbally communicated to parents/guardians/carers at collection time.
- We devise our daily program of activities and curriculum for our babies, toddlers, preschool children and after-school children.
- The programmes are displayed on the notice board for each room for inspection by the parents.
- We develop weekly plans for the children, based on the programme and varied according to children interests and emerging events. These schedules are kept on the room notice boards.
- We keep a monthly plan of emerging interests for the children to be developed in the class room and upcoming events.
- Our programme of activities are developed around the observations and interests of each child.
- All the information above is kept by the centre for inspection by the Health Board and interested parents.
- Child Observation Registers are kept confidential and are stored along with the Child Personal Records.
- We complete a term report for each child based on each child’s observations and development and these are discussed with parents in a one to one meeting.
- Copies of all observations and term reports are given to parents.
- We promote a daily communication with parents / carers about their children by extensively talking to them through their child’s Daily Routine Record at collection time and showing them and providing them with their child’s work/art work in the room.